Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Meat Crusted Quiche

**If you just want the recipe, skip to the bottom

It seems that part of the Army Wife job description is to be the home chef. Which, I understand. That's usually the job of most women, especially if you're a stay at home mom.

I've never been much of a chef. Not because I can't follow a recipe, but because by the time I get home after a 10-12 hour work day and gym, I just don't give a crap.

Dear Husband often teases me about one of my usual meals "Sausage On A Fork." I don't eat a lot in the first place, it cooks while I'm showering from the gym, and it's no mess. Pan, Fork. That's it. I don't see a problem.

I also try to eat Paleo, which can be difficult when you don't want to spend time cooking, and chicken sausage on a fork is just about the easiest thing to make, aside from my other dinner which was avocado, cucumber, and egg. That ended rather quickly after the avocado pit attacked me with a knife and I lost part of my thumb (thanks Tori for finding and taking me to the hospital btw).

Anyway, we made a deal that I'll cook most of the meals since he is really busy, and that they would be 80% Paleo, and mostly healthy.

This is the first recipe I've made that's simple and really liked. It doesn't need to be heated it up so Dear Husband can eat it in class since there's no lunch break, plus it's low calorie and filling. AND IT'S GOT A CRUST MADE OF MEAT. The only way to make it better would be to criss cross bacon on top.

Here is the original recipe I got from paleomg.com and below is my take on it with my own nutritional facts. I can't live without cheese, I didn't have spinach in the house, I used Turkey Sausage because I think it's a healthier alternative than regular, and I've got a hard on for sweet potatoes. I cut it into 8 slices and consider that to be a "serving."

  • 1 pound Turkey Sausage (i squeeze out of the casing)
  • 1 large sweet potato, diced
  • ½ yellow onion, diced
  • 1oz Feta
  • Half a 14oz can of diced, rosemary tomatos
  • 4 eggs, whisked
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • ⅛ teaspoon ground paprika
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 2 tablespoons bacon fat ]


Source: http://paleomg.com/meat-crust-quiche/

No comments:

Post a Comment