Wednesday, December 4, 2013

WORKING OUT DURING HOLIDAY TRAVELS

Every once and I while I bounce around military wife websites out of curiosity. As  prepare for the move to El Paso I wonder about the lives of the women postings, how they deal with moves, making friends, and what they do to keep things interesting.

Yesterday I came across this article about keeping in shape during the holidays, and it's the most vague useless information I've seen in awhile. Honestly it makes me angry because as someone who is learning to write a blog, I try to only write about things I know about, which she clearly doesn't know much about working out.

Anyway, I left a comment on her page and I decided to put it on my blog and add to it a little bit:

It's hard to get motivated during the holiday season. It's hard to get off your butt and leave the house and it's hard when you're visiting somewhere and don't have a gym- so here's some ideas where you don't need any equipment. You can do it in a hotel, in a house, or on a lawn.

1) Get the "Just 6 weeks" app. It's a program to improve your squats, sit ups, push ups, pull ups if you can do them (or have a bar and a band), and  dips. It's supposed to get you to 100 push ups, 200 sit ups, 150 dips, 200 squats in 6 weeks. While it's harder for women to achieve those goals because our bodies don't work that way, it's a great work out you can get in quick and doesn't require any equipment beyond a bar or a table.

2) Do a lot of balance work and stability training like lunges - backwards and forwards, and wind mills and jumps

3) Remember you can do burpees anywhere. They are awful but great.

4) If you're traveling in a car, or just at home, buy a kettlebell. They are the BEST work outs and incredibly versatile. Here are 22 work outs you can do with kettlebells. WOOT! 

5) Make up your own work out circuit. For example when I'm bored I do 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 of burpees, jumping squats, push ups etc, (so you would do 10 burpees, 10 jumping squats, 10 push ups, then 9 burpees, 9 jumping squats, 9 push ups and so forth).  You can really do that with any excercise. Maybe in between each "set" you run around the block as fast as you can.

And please, please do not listen to that woman in the article and "dial it down." Dialing it down because it's the holidays is stupid. You can get hurt at any time so Cowboy Up and get out there. You'll feel better about eating fudge and those delicious pumpkin spice lattes if you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment